Construction Trades Instructor – HBI Academy
Job category: Facility Management
Job Type: Full Time
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager, instructs program participants in Pre-Apprenticeship Certificate Training (PACT). Trains program participants in specific trades skills. Provides assessment of potential participants, and assessment of individual participant’s progress. Accountable for participant’s ability to perform satisfactorily when placed on the job at the completion of training. Handles confidential information.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Reviews training program, lesson plans, participant/applicant records, training site materials, etc. to become familiar with training sequence, participant skill levels and field site training requirements.
- Instructs participants, using HBI Pre-Apprenticeship Certificate Training (PACT) curriculum. Develops supporting materials as needed for use with HBI curriculum, emphasizing proper use of tools and hardware, equipment care, safety, and standard building practices.
- Coordinates on-site training activities with other trades and with other organizations.
- Maintains trainee Skill Achievement Records and participant profiles, in order to provide workplace competency development reporting to both trainee and potential employers.
- Consults with Regional Career Development Coordinator and Recruiter on trainee social service needs, as needed.
- Provides clear, workplace focused supervision at all times to trainees. Monitors trainees to determine level of achievement, coach trainees in developing their skills and competencies. Coaches trainees in workplace success, job retention and upward mobility.
- Instills in trainees the desire to work well in the home building industry and maintain a healthy attitude toward the tasks to be performed. Stimulates interest in learning by using effective training methods and assisting each individual with his/her learning. Personally, demonstrates a professional attitude towards work, including a positive disposition, mature conflict resolution approaches, proper workplace dress and behaviors, and acceptable verbal communication styles.
- Works with the Regional Career Development Coordinator and Recruiter in recruiting and selecting potential participants.
- Maintains liaisons in the home building industry to develop job opportunities for trainees.
- Refers trainees to Operation Manager, Regional Career Development Coordinator and National Placement Manager for appropriate job placement activities, based on trainee skills and desires.
- Maintains safe, orderly shop and work site.
- Maintains daily tool and equipment inventories for periodic reporting. Oversees maintenance/replacement of tools and equipment as necessary.
- Maintains attendance sign-in sheets and reports absences to RCDC for communication with program partners.
- Submits accurate and timely reports, in accordance with grant and HBI requirements to include recording attendance/PACT Required Material/credentials in approved data base and live files.
- Prepares lesson plans for daily activity well in advance.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Internal: Communicates with the Associate Vice President, Operations Manager, Regional Program Manager, National Placement Manager and Regional Career Development Coordinator regarding the program.
External: Communicates with staff of program partners, prospective and/or current employers of program graduates, and community service project partners.
High School Diploma/equivalent.
- Five years’ experience in construction trades.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of industry and human service groups.
- Excellent verbal and writing communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and communicate effectively with students.
- Current valid state driver’s license.
- Active CPR and First Aid Certification preferred.
- Experience using computers and MS Office software.
Usual office-type working conditions. Routine physical conditions include walking, carrying, standing, hearing/listening and sitting.
HBI offers a competitive compensation and benefits program.
HBI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state, or local law.