Economic Development Incentive Specialist
Job category: Other
Job Type: Full Time
Jefferson City, Missouri
Screening to Begin Immediately: Open until filled
Why You’ll Love This Position:
If you are looking for a career opportunity where YOU can make a difference, help communities grow, and help create job opportunities for hardworking Missourians, then this is the team for you. This is an exciting opportunity within the Missouri Department of Economic Development (DED) as we transform our Business & Community Solutions Finance Team to become the Best in the Midwest. The Solutions Division is seeking an Economic Development Incentive Specialist to manage critical business and community incentive programs for the State of Missouri. Specifically, you’ll focus on the State’s premier business programs, including Missouri Works. You’ll also have a chance to catalyze real estate developments and help nonprofits meet critical needs across the State.
What You’ll Do:
- Assist entities in applying for incentives earned as a result of creating jobs and making investment in the State. Review tax credit applications from companies, individuals, communities, for-profit entities and non-profit organizations. Determine eligibility in accordance with regulations and program guidelines.
- Examine and verify project expenses eligibility in accordance with regulations and program guidelines.
- Monitor and track progress of projects participating in programs, troubleshooting and providing assistance that will help entities complete their projects successfully.
- Provide technical information and assistance regarding tax credits or grants to companies, individuals, communities, for profit entities or non-profit organizations considering establishing a new business in the state, expanding current operations/facilities, engaging in real estate redevelopment, or community development initiatives.
- Participate in program policy research and development as trends change and evolve.
- Design and improve program procedures and processes.
- Collect, evaluate, and prepare data for internal and external reports for department and legislature.
- Prepare and present program-specific seminars and workshops to teach entities about available resources for growing a business in Missouri.
- Maintain databases and filing of information on programs and results.
- Perform other related work as assigned.
All You Need for Success:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Economics, Business or Public Administration, or a closely related field. Professional experience in these areas may substitute for education on a year for year basis.
- General knowledge of state and federal rules and regulations applicable to the assigned program area.
- Considerable knowledge of business math computations; and grammar, composition and spelling.
- Ability to make arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Some knowledge of financial and tax management, economic development, accounting and auditing principles and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, written and verbal, with all levels of public stakeholders and Department staff.
- Ability to work independently and carry out assignments without close supervision.
- Prepare complete and concise reports.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and apply statutes, regulations and agency policies related to tax credit or grant programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, customers, project managers, public officials, community and neighborhood organizations, regional planning commissions and the general public.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
More reasons to love this position:
The State of Missouri offers an excellent benefits package that includes a defined pension plan, generous amounts of leave and holiday time, and eligibility for health insurance coverage. Your total compensation is more than the dollars you receive in your paycheck. To help demonstrate the value of working for the State of Missouri, we have created an interactive Total Compensation Calculator. This tool provides a comprehensive view of benefits and more that are offered to prospective employees. The Total Compensation Calculator and other applicant resources can be found here.
If you have questions about this position please contact DED Human Resources at HRHelpdesk@ded.mo.gov.
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.