Editor in Chief, Thrillist
Job category: Other
Job Type: Full Time
, All United States
Thrillist is looking for an editor-in-chief to guide its team of dedicated journalists writing about travel, experiences, food, and nightlife in cities across America and around the world. We’re looking for a strong and empathetic people manager, a leader with a vision, and a journalist with a deep passion for storytelling and connecting with our loyal audience.
WHO WE ARE
Thrillist celebrates life through the lens of culture and travel and tells our audience where to go, and what to do, eat, and experience domestically and around the world.
Thrillist is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Guide Thrillist’s editorial strategy across all verticals
- Own editorial calendar, working with Managing Editor on editorial quality and standards across platforms
- Increase Thrillist’s influence and authority while growing our audience across Thrillist sites
- Hone in Thrillist’s voice and point of view, ensuring internal and external audiences understand what we cover and why
- Prioritize innovation by identifying resources for new initiatives and delightful, engaging work
- Ensure that diversity is top of mind in editorial decision-making; hire and manage with a focus on inclusivity and equity, especially as it pertains to career growth and development
- Manage a team of journalists with empathy and clarity
- Offer appropriate guidance and resources across the Thrillist brand, leveling the needs of various departments and audiences
- Strategize with Exec Director of Editorial Operations on the future of the organization; ensure goals are aligned across editorial, video, audience, copy, and design
- Work with GM, Publisher, and Exec Dir of Editorial Operations on sellable opportunities (eg new major tentpoles, packages, or sections)
- Work with Exec Dir of Editorial Operations on editorial operational budget
- Partner with Group Publisher on key strategy decisions for the Thrillist brand and day-to-day budget decisions
WHO YOU ARE
- Extensive experience in journalism, particularly in large, commercially successful publications in the lifestyle space
- At least 4 years of experience managing large (15+) editorial teams
- At least 6 years managing an editorial team
- A vision for ambitious storytelling and where Thrillist fits in the landscape of travel and service journalism
- A sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
- Attention to detail, news judgment, story packaging, and careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in analytics and social storytelling
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative problem-solving skills
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job can be remote, in one of our offices (LA, NY, SF, DC), or flex. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.