IPO Industrial Designer
Job category: Engineer
Job Type: Full Time
Under the direction of the VP of Product Management, the Industrial Designer I is responsible for developing individual products and complete product lines of moderate levels of difficulty, using shape, accent details, color, ergonomics, and other design techniques in coordination with other cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate will bring experience working within a hard-goods or related consumer product industry and can support the activities of both Industrial design and project execution. They should be comfortable as both an individual contributor and in support roles. The candidate should be motivated to grow in their position.
• Design and develop products from concepts through the prototyping and into production.
• Study consumer trends related to design. Proactively adapt and conceptualize these trends as executable suggestions for future products or enhancements.
• Ability to recognize and adapt designs to align with our various brands and respective design languages
• Coordinate research regarding materials and constructions for all projects.
• Understand human ergonomic issues
• Able to facilitate the execution of design concepts and ideas to others in 2-D or 3-D as deemed appropriate.
• Create sketches, drawings, and specifications to translate ideas into models and working prototypes.
• Competence and familiarity with basic model shop tools and procedures.
• Possess an ability to communicate ideas effectively through visual means
• Conduct cost analysis on new product designs, partnering with other internal resources
• Keep informed of the latest developments in the field by reading trade journals, individual contacts, and attendance at appropriate meetings and/or trade shows.
• Ability to interact effectively with engineering, marketing, manufacturing, and others in the development of new products.
• Communicate with Product Managers as to features and functions of new products.
• Perform other tasks as assigned.
• Domestic and international travel required as necessary (10%).
Marginal Job Functions:
• Other projects as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design (BSID) or related field.
• 3-5 years’ experience in a similar position.
• Computer experience required. Knowledge of Microsoft (Outlook, Word, Excel), Adobe software products (Illustrator and Photoshop), Solidworks is required.
• Capable of creating realistic 3D renderings using Keyshot
• Mechanical aptitude in common manufacturing techniques including injection and compression molding, forging, die casting, extrusion, finishing, etc.
Must have extremely good written and verbal communication skills and understanding of remote work tools
• Fostering Partnerships – Building partnerships with internal customers.
• Promoting Teamwork – Appreciating the Product Management / Engineering / Industrial Design development relationship.
• Versatility – Candidate must be able to adjust their designs to meet our different consumer markets, brands, and cost objectives.
• Effective Communication – Clear/global communication to internal & external customers in multiple formats (written, verbal).
• Ability and willingness to work on projects of varied levels of complexity and design to market considerations.
• Patience / Listening / Respect – Thoughtful reflection and understanding of what others are saying before responding / reacting; acknowledging the needs and work of others.
• Approachability – Always open to the needs of your team and customers.
• Accepting Constructive Feedback – Utilizing the team’s knowledge and individual strengths to improve upon work.
• Accountability – Taking accountability for your actions.
• Competent with time management, deadlines, multiple projects, and the ability to handle frequent interruptions.
We offer an excellent compensation package and team-oriented work environment with growth opportunities.
Some of our outstanding benefits include:
• Health & Dental Insurance
• Company paid Life Insurance
• Paid Time Off benefits
• Product discounts
• Wellness programs