Job category: Other
Job Type: Full Time
San Francisco, California
Under supervision of the Ironworker Superintendent, performs structural maintenance, repair and construction for the Golden Gate Bridge and other District facilities as required. Following plans and specifications, lays-out and fabricates a wide range of items.
- Performs maintenance, repair and construction for the Golden Gate Bridge and other District facilities including, but not limited to, the following:
- Maintenance, repair, and replacement of steel components and fasteners.
- Rigging for other crafts.
- Installs and repairs of chain link and other fencing.
- Shop fabrication of steel items and erection of structural and miscellaneous steel items.
- Placement of reinforcing steel for concrete.
- Maintenance of toll collection facilities and equipment.
- Knows and follows the safety and health rules and safe working practices applicable to his or her job.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with District employees, customers, vendors and all others contacted during the course of work using principles of excellent customer service.
- Performs additional related duties as assigned
- Regular and reliable attendance and performance is required
Education and/or Experience:
- Completion of Ironworker’s Apprenticeship
- Four years’ Structural Ironworker experience required
- Welding and shop fabrication experience desirable
Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for completion of an Ironworker Apprenticeship Program; applicants substituting additional qualifying experience for an Ironworker Apprenticeship Program should attach a statement supporting the additional qualifying experience.
Required Union Referral Letter: Union Referral Letter from Ironworkers Local 377
Required License: Must possess and maintain a current, valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record. No reckless driving and DUI infractions within the last 7 years. No more than 2 moving violations within the last 3 years. May operate District vehicles.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to perform heavy manual labor. Work is performed outside in varying weather conditions. Must be able to stoop, bend, push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds. Will be required to wear a respirator, or other personal protective equipment involving full body protection. Must be able to work comfortably at considerable heights from platforms, ladders, floats or suspended scaffolds; climb and walk on the Bridge cables; and climb ladders.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Occupational health and safety rules and working practices applicable to this position
- Methods, tools, equipment and procedures used in steel fabrication, and erection, maintenance and repair
- Methods, equipment and procedures for installation and maintenance of rigging for access systems
- Methods, equipment and procedures for rigging and hoisting loads with winches, tuggers, and mobile cranes
Skill in or Ability to:
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Drive manual clutch vehicle.
- Knows and follows the safety, health rules and safe working practices applicable to his or her job.