Machinist II Mill Turn
Job category: Other
Job Type: Full Time
Under general supervision, capable of operating and setting-up requirements to meet specification and tolerance required. Expert with operating and setting up complicated Aerospace parts on Mill Turn Mori Seiki machines. Experience setting up and running production, mill turn. Ability to envision what original block piece will look like when produced. Understand what the process entails during the implementation to meet conformance to specifications of part, great knowledge on parts inspection and GD&T. Independent worker and self-starter. Professional business mindset, able to collaborate with other departments and clients regarding specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform set-ups on mill turn machines. Understand how to use inspection equipment for production jobs in a responsive manner to support a production-paced environment.
- Shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes. Observe machine operations and adjust operation to ensure conformance with specified tolerances.
- Setup independently new jobs and development jobs on (mill turn machines) from start to finish.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications. Identify issues and monitor process and troubleshoot concern resulting in resolution.
- Experience reading blueprints, Work instructions to assess workpiece specifications and to determine programming and sequences of operations.
- Visualize and compute dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies, based on specifications.
- Inspect finished part for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Maintain, create, and update setup procedures for all critical process.
- Monitors production performance measurements and adjusts process to maintain quality and improve on cost.
- Routinely monitors processes to ensure process control and variation reduction using statistical tools.
- Compute dimensions, tolerances, and angles of workpieces or machines, according to specifications and knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and/or Experience: (The following qualifications can be acquired and demonstrated through experience, education and/or vocational training as noted or as appropriate.)
- Minimum 7-10 years mill turn experience – Preferably on Mori Seiki.
- Minimum 5 years Aerospace manufacturing on the job experience.
- Extensive experience with (GD&T) Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Manufacturing engineering related experience a plus; or a level of education that, together with experience and training, enables the applicant to demonstrate the required knowledge and experience.
- Aerospace manufacturing working environment, preferred.
- Formal business training or education, a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of machine shop and tool room practices.
- Understanding the machining properties of various metals and the proper application and operation of CNC equipment, tool maintenance and grinding.
- Reading, interpreting and working from engineering drawings and work order instructions.
- Proficient in the use of measuring equipment and gages and vision system inspection equipment.
- Verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Strong math skills (e.g. shop math, basic algebra, geometry and trigonometry).
- Organization, mechanical and interpersonal skills.
- Measure dimensional tolerances using applicable equipment to read precision instruments and see and feel product defects.
- Ability to read CMM reports and make adequate adjustment/offsets to get product back to nominal.
- Understand, value and actively drive process optimization and variation reduction.
- Takes a leadership role in a team atmosphere, possessing flexibility and adaptability to respond to changing priorities and be able to provide and accept constructive criticism.
- Highly skilled with plunge EDM and carbide draw die fabrication and polishing experience.
- Knowledgeable of hazardous and flammable materials.
- Highly skilled at identifying material properties and their application principles.
- Computer literate.
- Disciplined in 5s, lean manufacturing and Six Sigma and Statistical Process Control Techniques (a plus).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: (Typical physical demands and the work environment characteristics an employee must meet and encounter while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Position involves frequent standing in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to stand and walk between machines.
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry items up to 25 pounds and with assistance 50 pounds.
- Ability to squat and kneel, climb stairs, reach with hands and arms to operate machines.
- Ability to finger, grasp and feel objects, possess fine hand manipulation of moderate strength.
- Requires close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) and distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more).
- Must be able to speak/hear to fulfill verbal communications and respond to alarms.
- Noise level is medium, but higher when working with air hoses,
- Maintain hand-eye coordination sufficient to operate machines, tools and equipment.
- Recognize and hear changes in frequency of machinery to ensure proper operation and safety.
- Maintain mental concentration for entire shift to perform essential duties.
- Protective eyewear is required.
- May require overtime during peak periods.
The above statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels and characteristics of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities. Management has the right to change duties at any time to meet business needs.
Veridiam, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and takes pride in a diverse environment. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Veridiam will recruit and select applicants for employment solely based on their qualifications. Our Practices and Procedures, including those relating to wages, benefits, transfers, promotions, terminations and self-development opportunities, will be administered without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, gender identity, disability, medical condition or handicap or protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. Veridiam is a Drug Free environment and Affirmation Action Employer.