Maintenance Worker Series – Stadium North
Job category: Other
Job Type: Full Time
Kansas City, Missouri
9 Maintenance Worker Positions Available
This position is eligible for a temporary emergency operations adjustment of $3 to $6 per hour, depending on the area of operation, when handling winter/emergency operations activities. Full-time maintenance workers, after completion of a six-month probationary period, can participate in a Registered Apprenticeship Program certified by the U.S. Department of Labor and Veteran’s Affairs (VA) with MoDOT.
The Maintenance Division is responsible for assisting and supporting maintenance activities for the preservation and operation of the state highway system. The maintenance worker performs duties related to the maintenance of the state’s roadways and facilities.
This opening is for one of our CAREER-LADDER positions which offers the opportunity for career advancement without having to participate in the competitive selection interview process. Based on your work experience, skills, and education, you will be hired at either the entry, intermediate, or senior level of this job title. As you continue to learn, acquire new skills, and gain experience, you can be promoted to a higher-level position.
A day in the life: CLICK HERE TO WATCH YouTube JOB PREVIEW
- Maintains state highway systems, including filling roadway joints and cracks and patching potholes; flagging and directing traffic; setting up signs, cones, arrow boards, and other traffic control devices; loading, unloading, spreading, and hauling materials and supplies; cutting and clearing brush; removing trash and debris from roadsides; cleaning and clearing ditches.
- Maintains, cleans, and repairs state highway facilities, including repairing and replacing road signs and guardrails; cleaning curbs and gutters; painting buildings and equipment; and servicing equipment and machinery.
- Operates vehicles to transport employees, equipment, machinery and/or materials, or to warn oncoming traffic, plow snow and spread ice control materials; mows right of way using tractor mower and hand tools; operates auger, trencher, backhoe, forklift, and various trucks (e.g., dump, aerial boom, bucket, and platform).
- May repair bridge decks (full and partial) and drains, and clean bridge bents/caps at heights on ladders or utilizing scaffolding.
- May install signs, including structural and large signs at overhead positions, inspect truss signs, pour concrete sign footings, weld and cut steel sign posts, and repair and maintain break away and/or overlay signs.
What you’ll need for success:
- High School Diploma or GED/HiSET
- Valid Driver’s License
- A passing grade on the written portion of the commercial driver’s license (CDL) exam is required prior to hire date. Must pass the driving portion of the CDL exam with tanker endorsement, no air brake restrictions (Class B), and interstate status (either Excepted Interstate [EI] or Non-Excepted Interstate [NI]) within 60 days after being hired into this position.
- Successful completion of a work simulation examination and a medical-physical examination.
Special working conditions and job characteristics:
- Job requires significant physical stamina and endurance, including the ability to move materials by hand, operate hand tools, and perform stationary flagging.
- Job requires outdoor work that involves exposure to physical hazards, health and safety risks, and/or adverse or otherwise undesirable characteristics in the environment, including risk of physical injury from carrying out duties in heavy traffic areas, on or near heavy equipment or machinery, and with hazardous chemicals or materials.
- Job may require overtime and nighttime work.
- Job may require operation of vehicles to plow snow and spread ice control materials.
Why you’ll love MoDOT:
- You’ll play a key role in maintaining the seventh largest highway system in the United States.
- You’ll receive training opportunities and a chance to further your career.
- You’ll be able to take advantage of many benefits for you and your family while providing service to others in a culturally diverse workplace. Visit our CAREERS page to explore all we have to offer.
At MoDOT, we value team players who are open-minded and work well with others to accomplish goals and fulfill our mission of safety, service, and stability. We see the growth of our team members as an investment, both in MoDOT’s future and yours. If you’re looking for diverse opportunities, challenging work, and a family-friendly environment, we want to talk to you about joining our winning team.
Are you interested?
MoDOT operates on shared values and your success in our organization depends upon modeling these values. CLICK HERE to view our mission, values, and tangible results. If you embrace these values, we welcome your application.
For questions about this position, or to check the status of your application, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application and ALL requested documents must be received by the closing date on this job posting.
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.