Network Engineer Class I
Job category: Web, Computers and IT
Job Type: Full Time
Location:Pembroke Park, Florida
Network Engineer Class I
EEO Class Code: Professionals
Union Status: Unclassified
FLSA Code: Exempt
The Town of Pembroke Park
Department: Police/Information Technology
Position Reports To: IT Director
NATURE OF WORK
Under executive direction from the IT Director, the Network Engineer Class I will implement and manage equipment plans based on approved specifications, maintain each component of the network, and troubleshoot issues. The Network Engineer will be responsible for monitoring the network firewall, assessing the functionality of the network routers, ensuring all Internet security software is updated regularly, developing, ensuring compliance of the Town’s acceptable use policies, and maintaining the Town’s phone system. This position will partially be dedicated to the Town’s Police Department while the other portion of the workload will service the remainder of the Town’s Departments.
Tasks required of those in the position of Network Engineer Class I include but are not limited to:
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and update the Town phone system.
- Record, troubleshoot, escalate, and follow-up with end-users regarding IT support matters.
- Assist in maintaining both hardware and software needs.
- Support computer users, both hardware and software needs.
- Install and deploy workstations, tablets, and other IT technology to users.
- Provide end-user training with IT systems and applications.
- Adhere to all IT processes, policies, standards, and procedures.
- Maintain complete and accurate logs and documentation of responsibilities and work completed.
- Assist in creating and maintaining network infrastructure documents and IT procedures.
- Respond to network connectivity issues and resolve any communication/IT issues within the confines of Town Hall and other Town facilities.
- Update the network maintenance manual as needed.
- Collaborate with third-party support and service vendors to ensure that the network stays operational.
- Builds network configurations and connections.
- Conduct IP address auditing.
- Defines, documents, and enforces system standards.
- Maximizes performance by troubleshooting network problems and outages and scheduling upgrades.
- Configures router(s).
- Updates data servers and network equipment.
- Collaborates with network architects on network optimization.
- Secures network system by establishing and enforcing policies and defining and monitoring access.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes information systems and organization mission y completing related results as needed.
- After-hours end-user, network, and IT infrastructure support required.
- Travel required to Town locations to support end-users, network, and IT infrastructure.
- Performs all other related tasks as assigned by IT Director.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Employees in the position of Network Engineer Class I should have:
- Considerable knowledge and experience in information technology, computer science and engineering.
- Ability to manage programs, functions and activities of the department.
- Ability to cooperate and communicate constructively with other Town departments, elected officials, and the public.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks correctly and efficiently under varying conditions.
- Ability to supervise employees including monitoring work activities, providing training, evaluating performance and foster creativity.
- Availability to work varying hours for meetings and elections.
- Computer skills – Microsoft 365 office in specific.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing sophisticated computer networks; preferably as a municipal network engineer.
- 3+ years’ experience in network architecture and deployment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Engineering, Computer Science, or related field; Master’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering or related field (Preferred).
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) certificate preferred.
- CompTIA networking certifications preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a teammate to successfully perform the essential duties and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to stand, sit, see, speak, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer, telephone, or other electronic device.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs regularly.
- Occasional light to moderate lifting of office products and supplies may be required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a teammate encounters while performing the essential duties and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Moderate noise (business office with computers, telephones, printers, fax machines, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and light traffic).
- Ability to work within a confined area.
- Ability to work in a computer station for an extended period.
The Town of Pembroke Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.