Strategic Planning Manager, Military Strategy
Job category: Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Worldwide
The Strategic Planning Manager provides support to partner nation military personnel in conducting comprehensive reviews and assessments of their current Strategic/Operational Plans offices and/or directorates. The Strategic Planning Manager will provide Train, Advise, Assist, and Mentor (TAAM) support to the partner nation ministry of defense directorates/offices, joint staff directorates/offices, and Service (or Service Component) directorates/offices in various military related fields to further develop their capability and meet requirements that will strengthen the skills required to successfully perform mandated or future mission requirements.
Serve as a Senior Military Advisor and Subject Matter Expert using TAAM methodologies to standup the J-5 staff, Combatant Command or Joint Force-5 and staff, and Services-5 and their staff structures.
Develop a Project Execution Plan, including an internal document to drive process.
Conduct a Baseline Analysis and producing a Scoping Report to include:
Analyze and review the Target Operating Model
Determine the current capabilities and understanding of the functions of the J-5 staff, Combatant Command or Joint Force-5 and staff, and Services-5 and their staff.
Assess current manning, experience, and skills.
Produce a Benchmark Analysis Report to include:
Identification of like or related programs to achieve required capabilities (CENTCOM, NORTHCOM, and Component/Services 5’s roles, functions, and training programs)
Relating to the J-5 and Component/Services-5
Develop and coordinate acceptance of an organizational design implementation roadmap,
Establish an organizational structure and staff training based on a Handbook and doctrine (e.g. JP-5.0)
Provide templates and training for developing initial strategies and plans,
Develop general Military Decision Making templates to support Operation Order, Campaign Planning, and Course of Action Development for the Services and a Combatant Command or Joint Force Command
Develop staff selection criteria and duty descriptions.
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum of 20 years of military experience, inclusive of not less than 2 years joint staff, combatant command, and/or component experience
Work experience in developing, structuring, and implementing orientation programs for J-5 or operational planning sections at the Operational or Strategic levels.
· Excellent Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel capabilities
· Superior written and verbal communication skills
· Comfortable in a dynamic work environment
· Proven abilities to instruct, communicate, and engage with senior military and defense officials
· Master’s Degree or bachelor’s degree from an accredited College or University in National Strategy Policy, Public Policy, or National Security
· Joint Professional Military Education (PME) Level I & Level II
· Staff level work experience at Joint Commands, Service component commands, or Headquarters staff level planning elements
· Previous operational experience during TAAM missions with foreign countries and nationals from partner nations and countries in overseas locations
· Security Clearance
Preferred skills & knowledge
· Advanced Degree and Senior Service School Graduate
· SAMS Graduate/Instructor (or other Service Equivalent)
· Retired US military 0-5/6
· Previous Assignment in a Service or Joint Staff (J-5) at the Division level or higher
· Program management of J-5 orientation program
· FA59 Officer – Strategist (or other Service Equivalent such as an AOC SRD Chief)
· Joint Qualified Officer (JQO-Level III)
· Former PME, Service Academy, or Professor of Military Science instructor
Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards.
Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions. Required to walk in heat/humidity.
Must have the ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds occasionally and walk short distances.
Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
Have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing: viewing a computer monitor; extensive reading. Must be able to travel on long international flights and carry travel bags/luggage.