Veterans Affairs Higher Education Billing Specialist (part-time contractor)
Job category: Accounting
Job Type: Part Time
Framingham State University is a vibrant comprehensive liberal arts institution located in the MetroWest suburbs of Boston, which integrates an academically challenging liberal arts education with workforce preparation programs. Founded in 1839, FSU enrolls about 4,000 undergraduates and 1,200 graduate and professional students. FSU offers 35 bachelor’s degrees with 55 specialized concentrations, 63 minors, and 26 master’s degree programs, in a highly personalized teaching environment. Our community takes pride in empowering student success by providing a superior education, leading research and innovation opportunities, and a strong first-year experience.
At FSU, we are deeply committed to inclusive excellence, encouraging a supportive, diverse and collaborative learning environment, and providing culturally relevant education. We are honored that our commitment earned FSU six Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Awards from INSIGHT Into Diversity and that we are the only public institution in Massachusetts recognized in 2018, 2019, and 2020. FSU is designated as an emerging Hispanic-Serving Institution by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities and also belongs to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Inclusive Excellence community, providing national leadership in science education and exploring strategies that will lead to more inclusive science education. We encourage applications from those who share our commitment to promoting a diverse, welcoming, and inclusive community.
Our founding motto, LIVE TO THE TRUTH, was said at the end of each class by beloved first principal, Cyrus Peirce, who sought to discover and teach “truth in theory and principle…truth in spirit and motive…truth in manner and form…truth intellectual and truth moral.” Principal Bagnall found this motto “speaks of sincerity of spirit…of intensity of effort, of resolution to succeed, of joy in achievement.” LIVE TO THE TRUTH continues to guide our institution in practice and endeavor. If you share in this quest for truth and a commitment to living it fully, make the next chapter of your career the best chapter at Framingham State University.
Learn more about our career opportunities at www.framingham.edu/careers.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Reporting jointly to the Director of Student Accounts, the VA Billing Coordinator (“Coordinator”) will be responsible for accurate benefit payment requests to the appropriate federal agency for all currently enrolled Veterans/service member students, and eligible dependents; and the related university billing, refunding, and payment requirements. Collaborates with the staff in the offices of the University Registrar, Student Accounts, and Financial Aid. Participates in all external audits of Veterans records.
Bursar/Director of Student Accounts University, Associate Director of Student Accounts
EXAMPLES OF SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Management and Leadership (Reporting to Bursar,)
- Assists the Student Accounts office with the coordination and timely reconciliation of all Veterans benefits (Chap. 33, Post-911 GI Bill, etc.) between Banner and VA-Once, particularly Third Party VA billing accounts and will also be the SCO for charges
- Assists the Student Accounts Office in the timely determination of and transfer to the proper Third Party VA billing account for all waiver of or VA partial payment of all VA benefits;
- Assists Student Accounts in determining the proper tuition rates;
- Works with the VA to resolve any short payments and / or billing vs. payment discrepancies;
- Monitors available benefit balances vs. billing to proactively assist veterans in planning payment options as well as assisting Student Accounts with collections of same;
- Assists Student Accounts and Finance in reviewing all VA related US Treasury Offset Program (TOPS) requests forwarded by the Office of the State Comptroller to determine any refunds amounts due to the VA Debt Management Center (DMC) and / or clarifying payment amounts and “Paid in Full” designations from the VA
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with MS Office Suite
- Experience in account receivable billings and account reconciliations, preferably in higher education/student billing.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Experience working with VA-Once portal
- Experience conducting internal audits to maintain compliance with State Approving Agency and Veterans Affairs regulations
- Experience with interpreting federal regulations and certifying benefits pertaining to veterans
- Some knowledge of AR reconciliation Ellucian Banner experience
- Knowledge of issues relevant to the veteran/service member population and direct experience with this population
- Experience working in higher education
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and planning skills
- Bilingual in Spanish or Portuguese
This is a part-time non-benefited, contract position, not to exceed 18 hours per week. The hourly rate for this position is $28-31/hour.
Framingham State University conducts criminal history and sexual offender record checks on recommended finalists prior to final employment for all positions.
Framingham State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must apply online by submitting:
- Cover Letter,
- Equity and Inclusion Statement*
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*The Equity and Inclusion Statement is an opportunity for candidates to discuss professional skills, experience and/or willingness to engage in activities that would enhance the university’s efforts to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. Equity and inclusion statements will be considered as part of a transparent and comprehensive review of candidate application materials.
This posting will remain open until filled.
Framingham State University only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you experience technical issues with the online application process, please submit a helpdesk ticket.
Framingham State University understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office at 508-626-4530 or email@example.com.