Boston Editor, Eater
Job category: Other
Job Type: Full Time
WHO WE ARE
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter and editor to lead its Boston city site, one of its marquee publications. The Eater Boston editor guides day-to-day coverage of the site and its overall sensibility, including its mix of news stories, service-focused maps and guides, and features. They are responsible for audience growth and engagement as well as impact and relevance in the community. The editor will have the drive to continue Eater’s reputation for furthering conversations about the restaurant industry and dining culture in Boston. They have the ability to predict vs. react to the news cycle; features should proactively examine narratives that are unexpected and important to Boston’s food scene and the people within it. Stories should not all focus on one area or subject: the editor should have the range to cover the bar and hospitality industries, COVID policy changes, and labor and social justice stories. The role also includes assigning, editing, and packaging freelance pieces; taking ownership of high-touch service maps like the Eater 38; and scheduling/strategizing for social media and the Eater Boston newsletter.
Eater, the national food publication with outlets across North America and the UK, is at the forefront of reporting on the restaurant industry, shaping food culture with its award-winning journalism and programming, and telling people where to eat with its beloved maps and guides.
Eater is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Have a vision of the food and restaurant culture in Boston and Eater’s place in it
- Write or assign out and edit all of the site’s content, including daily news, maps and service content, features, and other reporting
- Edit and manage a small group of freelancers, and periodically recruit and develop new writers and contributors to ensure a diverse mix of voices reflecting the demographics of your city
- Create and assign an editorial calendar incorporating news stories, service content, and reviews, including planning longer lead features, trend stories, and packages
- Oversee production and strategy for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and newsletters for Eater Boston, keeping in line with Eater’s standards
- Ensure all copy onsite is copy-edited and meets our style guide and editorial standards
- Ensure all posts are SEO optimized and that headlines meet our standards
- Track openings and develop sources including chefs, restaurateurs, relevant spokespeople, and alternative sources for coverage as needed
- Direct coverage of the unveiling crisis surrounding COVID-19 and its impact on the Boston restaurant community
- Participate in cross-brand promotional efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as communicated by other team managers when needed
- Occasionally appear on panels, radio, and other public appearance as appropriate for the brand
WHO YOU ARE
- Experience in journalism, particularly in breaking daily news, developing sources, covering a beat, and editing other writers
- A vision for ambitious storytelling
- Comfort with cold calling and a sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
- A drive to continue Eater’s reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city.
- A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle; an ability to create proactive vs. reactive narratives about the restaurant industry
- Attention to detail, news judgement, story packaging, and careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local scene and at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
Bonus points for:
- Experience covering business, real estate, the restaurant industry, or legal matters
- Experience with photography and article layout
- Experience with writing and/or editing long-lead, high-touch feature stories
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.