Job category: Aerospace
Job Type: Full Time
Newport News, Virginia
Roles and Responsibilities:
Understand and follow oral and written instructions from immediate supervisor or above. Under general supervision, be responsible for the machine work assigned. Assist less experienced machinists as needed. Interpret drawings, sketches and verbal instructions to fabricate component parts of models or test equipment.
- Review drawings, checking material and dimensions.
- Verify that material dimensions match travelers.
- Set up 3-axis and/or 5-axis CNC machines based on the appropriate guidelines, procedures and practices which relate to machine technology and its disciplines.
- Load machine with work pieces.
- Configure machines: enter instructions, set tool registers, offsets, and calculate requirements using such instruments as micrometers and calipers.
- Fabricate parts to reflect the tolerance and dimensions indicated on the drawings. Report deviations to the project manager or supervisor.
- Verify completed parts reflect the dimensions on drawings.
- Operate Manual and/or NC machines such as: lathes, mills, horizontal & vertical machining centers, EDMs, etc.
- After initial orientation on first shift, this will be a second shift position.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to stand for 8-hour shift.
- Must be able to hear and detect the differences between sounds that vary in pitch.
- Must have near vision to see details at close range.
- Must be able to climb stair platform repeatedly during an 8-hour shift to set up job work pieces.
- Must be able to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls to exact positions.
- Must be able to wear a half-mask respirator.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
Five plus years of related machining experience; extensive knowledge of shop mathematics. Work with minimum supervision; detail oriented; knowledgeable of running conventional machines; ability to select appropriate cutting tools.
4-year Machinist Apprenticeship preferred. Will still evaluate if not met.
Strong math skills.
Familiar with Numerical Controlled Processes, Manual Data Input, Tooling Offsets, Conversation Controllers, etc.
Experience with controllers such as: Fanuc, Haas, Heidenhain, Mazak, Fagor etc.
Familiar with the use of precision measuring instruments: outside/inside micrometers, depth mics, verniers, etc.
Familiar with threading and the various measuring/gauging requirements Drilling/tapping processes.
Ability to comprehend complex mechanical drawings and blueprints.