Engineering Contracts Assistant
Job category: Engineer
Job Type: Full Time
San Francisco, California
POSITION: ENGINEERING CONTRACTS ASSISTANT (PS101450)
Position is affiliated with the International Federation of
Professional and Technical Engineers (PTE) Local #21
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA – Golden Gate Bridge Administration Building
SALARY RANGE: $77,147.20 – $93,225.60 per year plus benefits (40-hour workweek)
Employee pays up to 7% of salary/wage toward CalPERS retirement plan
Under general direction of Engineering Contracts Officer, performs technical work related to preparation of contract documents, requests for proposals and formal bids, and administration of
professional services agreements and construction contracts. May act as a liaison between District staff and professional consulting engineering firms or construction contractors. May serve as a contract administrative assistant to project engineers on design and construction projects. Maintains detailed and accurate records of contract compensation invoices, progress payments, status and schedules. Communicates with other District departments regarding engineering contracts. Performs related work as required.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Two years’ college level course work or training in public works contract administration ; additional experience may be substituted for education and training on a year-for-year basis
• Five years office contract and administration duties with an engineering or construction related company; experience in verifying invoices in varied forms; working experience in technical and legal document editing
• Five years of recent administrative experience requiring the use of initiative and independent judgment
• Demonstrated proficiency in using advanced word processing and basic spreadsheet functions
• Must possess and maintain a current, valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
• Assist in preparation of requests for proposals and formal bids, professional services agreements, and construction contract documents
• Assist with the preparation of contract amendments and contract change orders
• Performs invoice reviews and checking for accuracy on engineering contracts
• Reviews contractors’ certified payrolls for compliance with contract requirements; performs labor and DBE compliance duties, such as, but not limited to, verifying certified payrolls with inspection daily diaries, performing contractor and sub-contractor employee interviews, verifying on-site postings of Federal and State required notices, keeping current records of Federal and State Wage Determination changes
• Assists with the review of extra work bills from contractors
• Assists with maintaining Engineering Department budgeting and accounting records
• Knows and follows the safety and health rules and safe working practices applicable to the job
• Types correspondence, reports, forms and specialized documents related to the engineering contracts
• Researches information on the Internet and in the electronic and hard copy files for government rules, regulations and codes, historical information and certified documents
• Composes contract correspondence
• Assists with compiling Daily Diaries, matching them to their respective Extra Work Bills and entering the information onto a spreadsheet
• Prepares spreadsheets and reports for project status, summary of submitted invoices, requests for anticipated budget increases, etc.
• Regular and reliable attendance and performance is required
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES and SKILLS:
• Knowledge of engineering office and construction contract administration principles, practices, and terminology
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately protect information and documents
• Knowledge of office practices and procedures, including record keeping, report preparation, filing methods, and the operation of common office equipment
• Ability to work effectively as a team member
• Ability to maintain records, compile reports and make accurate mathematical calculations
• Knowledge of applicable federal, state and District laws, codes, regulations and policies related to public works contracts
• Skills in preparation and maintaining detailed and accurate records and reports
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with District and contractors’ staff, consulting engineers
• Ability to stay organized, to set priorities and to meet critical deadlines
• Ability to use initiative and exercise sound judgment within established guidelines
• Ability to rapidly learn the policies and procedures related to the work, including District standard conditions and special provisions for construction contracts
• Skilled in using personal/network computers and current software
• Mobility to work in a typical office setting
• Vision to read printed materials and a computer screen
• Hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone
• Routine use of computer, telephone and other office equipment
• Ability to travel to District facilities
FAILURE TO MEET ANY OF THE REQUIREMENTS STATED BELOW MAY RESULT IN REJECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION
TO APPLY: www.goldengate.org/jobs
Applicants must apply online by the deadline date. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
The District’s Human Resources Kiosk is available for filling out and submitting your online application and employment documents. The HR kiosk is located at the San Rafael Office. For directions and general information, visit our website www.goldengate.org.
All notices related to District recruitments for which you apply will be sent via email. Please ensure the email address you provide on your application is correct, and add ‘@goldengate.org’ as an accepted address to any email blocking or spam filtering program you may use to ensure receipt of notification from the District regarding your recruitment application. The District is not responsible for notices that are not read, received, or accessed by any applicant for any District recruitment.
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENT(S) MUST BE SUBMITTED AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. GGBHTD Online Employment Application
2. Cover Letter (Attach as PDF to your online application)
3. Resume (Attach as PDF to your online application)
THE SELECTION PROCESS FOR THIS POSITION MAY INCLUDE: (***)
• Skills Assessment Examination
• Oral Panel Interview
• Department interview for final candidates
• Background, Employment and Security Investigation
(*) The District will invite only those candidates whose qualifications most closely match the position requirements to continue in the selection process.
(**) The District is a drug free workplace. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo and pass drug testing prior to District employment.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District to take all personnel actions on the basis of merit and other job-related factors, without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), disability: physical or mental, age (40 and older), genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation and identity, medical condition, political affiliation or military status.
Applicants with Disabilities: The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts to accommodate applicants with disabilities to complete the Employment Application and in any job-related examination process. If you have special needs, please call (415) 257-4535