Environmental Health and Safety Specialist (Occupational & Chemical Safety)
Job category: Education
Job Type: Part Time
Delhi, New York
SUNY Delhi seeks a dynamic, forward thinking and engaging Environmental Health and Safety Specialist, with a specialization in occupational and chemical safety, to the join the Facilities Department. SUNY Delhi prides itself on being a welcoming college community for all. Diversity, equity and inclusiveness are integral components of the highest quality academic programs and the strongest campus climate. The college seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that inclusive excellence will be affirmed.
Principal Duties include:
The Occupational and Chemical Safety EHS Specialist will be responsible for managing the Campus Chemical Hygiene, water treatment, and petroleum bulk storage programs including testing, inspecting, recordkeeping, and training. This position will work with other facilities staff, faculty, and technicians when required for complex work. Must be able to prioritize multiple projects, and work in a demanding fast-paced environment.
The Occupational and Chemical Safety EHS Specialist will be responsible for additional duties including:
- Manage the Campus Universal Waste program including lamps, batteries, pesticides, and other hazardous waste material.
- Respond to chemical spills and other campus emergencies.
- Function as the Campus Petroleum Underground Storage A & B operator in accordance to DEC regulations
- Develop and conduct employee training program for occupational safety in accordance to PESH guidelines.
- Cross-train with other department members to provide training, and other services as needed.
- Operate and maintain water treatment chemicals, testing and recordkeeping (public water supply, Public swimming pool), in accordance to NYS Health Department regulations.
- Monitor Campus Lab Safety Program, including fume hood monitoring.
- Maintain records, and collaborate required Occupational testing, and monitoring.
- Monitor and maintain Chemical hygiene program including SDS program.
- Associate in Applied Science degree in Chemistry, Environmental Science, or closely related field
- Minimum of 2 Years’ experience as a Environmental Safety Specialist, or closely related occupation
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience interpreting and applying DEC, EPA, NFPA, and PESH (OSHA) regulations
- Capable of performing physical labor to include carrying and moving items up to 50lbs
- Able to obtain respiratory clearance, for respirator use
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental science or related field
- Demonstrated ability to determine training needs, organize and conduct training
- Public water testing certification
- Public pool testing certification
- Work Schedule: Full-time, with weekend and after-hours work, as required
- Reports to: Facilities Operations Manager
- This is a 12 month position; $40,900 – $44,000
- Salary Grade: UUP, SL-2
- Budget Title: Staff Assistant
- This position offers full New York State UUP (PT), benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country with an excellent fringe benefits package
- Click here for more Information for Prospective Employees
- SUNY Delhi has a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and Cultural Diversity. The College welcomes responses from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
- SUNY Delhi is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community for our students and employees. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Any offer of employment is contingent on the successful completion of the background check.
To apply, please submit:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three professional references
Full consideration please apply by October 12, 2018
SUNY Delhi is an AA/EO Employer