Music & Media Licensing Specialist
Job category: Marketing
Job Type: Full Time
Music & Media Licensing Specialist
FLSA Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum Department of Marketing
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has an opening for a full-time exempt Music Licensing Specialist within the Marketing department.
Company Overview: Located in the heart of downtown Nashville, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum documents and interprets the history of country musica musical genre and culture central to the identity of the city, the state, and the nation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the museum proudly combines subject expertise, ambitious research, and preservation of an unparalleled collection with expressions of creativity in music, art, and history. The museum collects artifacts that illustrate the evolving history and traditions of country music while providing diverse learning opportunities. The core exhibit follows the story of country music from its folk beginnings through its emergence as a commercial art form. Rotating exhibits examine a broad range of topics, from country classics to ultra-contemporary and emerging artists in American Currents. The museum owns Hatch Show Print, a letterpress print shop opened in 1879, and it operates Historic RCA Studio B, where Elvis Presley and many others recorded.
Departmental Overview: Our department is responsible for all marketing here at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Our goal is to support and be efficient to our staff and others in a professional manner as well as being a brand ambassador to external clients. To provide excellent customer service with everyone we interact with on a daily basis so that we may exceed their expectations.
The Licensing Specialist is a proactive, driven, and highly professional individual that leads identifying songs, audio, and photographs for licensing opportunities. The Licensing Specialist will know the ins and outs of the music industry and music licensing, and their unique languages.
The Licensing Specialist will secure the clearance, research master and publishing rights holders with independent record labels and music publishers, seek, obtain and negotiate the necessary approvals. This individual must have an understanding of Performing Rights Organizations, Music Publishers, Photographers, and split territories couples with a knowledge of people and contacts in the industry to swiftly obtain and secure all rights necessary for the use of the music associated with the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, Historic RCA Studio B, and Hatch Show Print. Building, developing and maintaining relationships with industry contacts in order to secure music syncs on behalf of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, Historic RCA Studio B, and Hatch Show Print is key. Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the ideal candidate will have a comprehensive knowledge of music, its history, genres, and styles, and must be up to date on current music.
Specific Job Duties:
- Work closely and communicate regularly with production, production management, music supervisors and within the business legal affairs department.
- Finalize, record, and track rights information and all aspects related to licensing, including but not limited to drafting licenses and payment processing. Function as project leader on special assignments.
- Facilitate clearance requests by working closely with content producers in researching copyright ownership and by researching rights to assets within the digital collection.
- Work with creative and marketing teams on diverse projects assigned by the Director of Marketing that include long and short form programming for linear and digital platforms.
- Working knowledge of legal concepts related to licensing.
- Established relationships within the licensing community.
- Expertise in licensing for all types of media platforms.
- Comprehensive understanding of music rights.
- Collect deliverables such as license agreements and sync forms.
- Maintain contract files and tracking reports for all assigned programs/projects and ensure that licenses are executed and paid in a timely manner.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of experience in music, entertainment field or synchronization licensing field
- Experience in a business affairs, rights & clearances, or licensing capacity
- Provable track record in closing music syncs with artists with brands and agencies
- Experience of time-management projects
- The ability to partner effectively with marketing, creative, and content teams
- Ability to report to multiple stakeholders and communicate effectively across the organization.
- Ability to read and analyze license agreements
- Ability to effectively negotiate with licensors via email, phone, and in-person
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations i.e. budgeting, tracking reports, controlled portions of composition fees
- Bachelors degree preferred, preferably with a major in business, augmented by coursework
- College degree or college courses in a related field a plus
Essential Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and abilities needed for success in the position):
- Exhibit the capability to interact and cooperate with all company employees
- Actively listen to all parties
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and cooperatively
- Create a positive work culture: build trust, value others, communicate effectively, drive execution, promote innovation, collaborate with others, solve problems creatively and demonstrate high integrity
- Maintain professional internal and external relationships that meet company core valuesSustain rapport with all support departments
Notes to Applicant:
- Due to the high volume of applications received for this position hiring managers may only contact you if they are interested in scheduling an interview. Please refrain from calling to inquire about your status in the search.
- Please upload a resume and cover letter when you apply for this position
- Applications are only accepted online on our career page https://countrymusichalloffame.org/index.php/contentpages/employment