Job category: Engineer
Job Type: Full Time
The Project Engineer will work in the New Product Development (NPD) team as the primary liaison and engineering lead between Product Marketing (PM) and Factory Manufacturing. The Project Engineer will focus on management of multiple projects through the NPD process. Key responsibilities include managing schedule, cost, specification, design, and communication management. Examine and analyze new designs to determine feasibility of operation, manufacturing and application. Oversee the activities of design, layout and detailed drafting in preparing drawings and data for use in manufacturing. This is a highly visible position within the company and requires a passionate and motivated individual to drive both product improvement and excellence throughout the NPD process.
- Work with other members of the product development team to translate customer requirements into engineering product specifications and set development plan
- Act as Project Manager and coordinates among a project team (including members of industrial design, manufacturing, mechanical design, electrical and software engineering, key technology (KT) and key component (KC) engineering, quality, product management, factory sales, etc.) to ensure schedule is met and New Product Development tasks are completed.
- Communicate daily between Asia-based factory and North America product marketing on all technical issues and customer requirements.
- Lead R&D and cross-functional project team meetings to discuss project status, requirements, and set direction
New Product Development:
- Lead multiple projects through the Key Technology/Key Component (KT/KC) and NPD processes
- Assist Product Management in the development and maintenance of PPS (Product Project Specifications), then ensures project adheres to PPS.
- Thoroughly review and manage costs, design risks, Industrial Design outlook, and manufacturing capability
- Lead overall engineering design while assisting factory engineers to do detailed CAD design and drawings.
- Responsible for identifying, managing, and ensuring product meets all compliance requirements
- Without assistance, complete DFMEA, strength and fatigue analysis of all design proposals to ensure the product meets the design requirements.
- Monitor the costed BOM (Bill of Materials) to ensure the project adheres to cost targets
- Coordinate with Manufacturing and Purchasing to ensure the product is producible and meets the tooling costing requirements defined in the product specification.
- Support and troubleshoot the introduction of new products into production.
- Determine and maximize container utilization and package size.
- Ensure NPD process is followed, NPD checklist and documentation are maintained, and project milestones and deadlines are met per company standards.
- Lead technical design reviews to support product development.
Production Transition support:
- Review quality and inspection data, perform product sample reviews and make design decisions, support value-add / value-engineer opportunities for cost and manufacturing efficiency
- Develop functional requirements and test plans for transition of product into production
- Train Asia-based engineering and factory manufacturing team on design requirements
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related field required
- Minimum 3 years of design experience, consumer products experience preferred
- Additional Project Engineering or Project Management experience is a significant plus
- Demonstrable experience designing components for various manufacturing processes including plastics, sheet metal, tube forming, casting, machining, welding & joining, etc.
- Strong knowledge of 3D CAD and related design analysis tools (SolidWorks preferred)
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally, approximately 4 international trips/year of 8-14 days each
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
We offer an excellent compensation package and team-oriented work environment with growth opportunities.
Some of our outstanding benefits include:
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off benefits
- Free access to our state-of-the-art onsite workout facility
- Product discounts
- Wellness programs