Senior Logistics Manager
Job category: Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Cottage Grove, Wisconsin
Under the direction of the Director of Logistics, the Senior Logistics Manager is responsible for the oversight and managerial control of the Logistics department and personnel as well as inbound and outbound shipments within the JHTNA Operational Network. This manager drives excellent customer service by ensuring our products are delivered on-time without damage and complete. This role will lead, coach and develop teams responsible for delivering goods with the goal to be at the contracted time and in the agreed quality at the lowest possible operational costs, with the customer in focus and the total supply chain in mind. The role includes the oversight of inbound and outbound carrier and vendor relationships, carrier scheduling and planning, installation services, and management of the shipping workload from our distribution centers. Additional duties include directing and administering the organizations transportation management systems, policies, programs and initiatives across multiple locations.
Logistics and Installations Management:
- Oversee the development and management of carrier contracts, negotiations and relationships to provide industry leading competitive rates, programs and exceptional customer service
- Monitor, maintain, and continuously improve processes that will ensure material movement both systemically and physically.
- Plans, examines, analyzes and evaluates daily distribution DC operations in respect to supporting procedures, quality standards, and customer expectations.
- Manage vendor performance and set priorities to meet the needs of distribution network and scalability
- Oversee the reduction and control of freight and handling costs initiatives
- Ensure staff has ongoing functional support and addresses compliance processes, notifications, concerns and interface with Governmental and Regulatory agencies
- Drive Installation Issues improvements through support of the Installation Team Manager and Logistics team via process improvements, communicating and coordinating with the customer and necessary departments at headquarters to ensure flawless execution of installs.
- Responsible for multiple modes of inbound logistics including truckload, intermodal, LTL, ocean, air, and drayage as well as customs clearance and compliance.
- Oversee and monitor carrier capacity, rates, and SLA requirements to successfully execute the inbound logistics operation and flow of products from vendors to our distribution centers including assessment and onboarding of new carriers
- Determine the best way to move equipment across the country from ports and domestic suppliers to destinations
- Responsible for correct HTS codes to comply with international law
- Align with the Supply Chain team so that both parties are working to improve our on time delivery dates and reduce our lead-times where possible.
- Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) & Contracts for the Inbound Logistics department.
- Develop, train and maintain a JHTNA/JHTR on-line routing guide and packaging guide
- Ensure that the Johnsons transportation partners maintain required service levels for inbound shipments and overall performance; balancing cost and service requirements and report results monthly
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and lead the cross-functional team in a define/measure/analyze/improve/control (DMAIC) process
- Drive improvements to bring cost reductions and improved customer experiences to Johnson
- Train supervisors and staff in all aspects of management and operations
- Review and report the monthly KPIs to senior management with summary on wins/losses and opportunities for improvement
- Follow and disseminate the goals and objectives set by the company to ensure maximum productivity and efficiency in improving the operations
- Ensure staff is performing tasks in accordance with job responsibilities
- Strong written and oral communication skills; attention to detail, prioritization, organization and multi-tasking
Marginal Job Functions:
- Promote a positive, safe, clean and well-organized facility and grounds
- Responsible for special projects, both tactical and strategic, on an as needed basis
- Other projects as needed
- High school degree or equivalent required
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain or Operations management is desired
- APICS Certification preferred
- 7 – 10 years of experience in a supply chain role with prior inventory control and customer focused experience
- Strong leadership skills and a proven background of influencing others and leading change
- Proven experience in project management and negotiation skills
- Proficient in Lean principles and Six Sigma methodology
- Ability to communicate effectively with people on different positions in the organization
- Financial responsibility for operations budget planning, management to that plan and analysis of actuals
- Ability to travel at least 25%+ of the time
- Strong ability to communicate with both internal and external customers
- Ability to lead a diverse team
- Strong cross departmental collaboration experience
- Able to quickly build and maintain good working relationships
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Background in SAP preferred
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Managing these functions in accordance with company policies and procedures
We offer an excellent compensation package and team-oriented work environment with growth opportunities.
Some of our outstanding benefits include:
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off benefits
- Free access to our state-of-the-art onsite workout facility
- Product discounts
- Wellness programs