|SUNY Delhi seeks a dynamic, forward-thinking Service & Repair Assistant (HVAC-R) to join the Facilities Department in the HVAC-R Shop. SUNY Delhi prides itself on being a welcoming college community for all. Diversity, equity, and inclusiveness are integral components of the highest quality academic programs and the strongest campus climate. The college seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that inclusive excellence will be affirmed.
The Service & Repair Assistant (HVAC-R) will perform routine inspections and servicing of various types of refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment. This is a semi-skilled position that performs the more routine, repetitive tasks in the inspection, maintenance, and repair of refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment. Incumbents may also perform journey-level activities, under supervision, or after receiving detailed instructions, to learn and perfect their skills. Generally, Service & Repair Assistants (HVAC-R) work under the supervision of a skilled trades or supervisory maintenance position; in turn, they often supervise Facility Operations Assistants 1 and other relatively unskilled workers in performing manual tasks involving elementary skills. Under direction, incumbents participate in work in other Service & Repair specialties when not engaged in refrigeration work.
- Installs and assists in the installation of refrigeration and air-conditioning units and systems by performing such tasks as mounting compressors, condensers, and other components; cutting, threading, and connecting tubing to inlets and outlets of components; installing control mechanisms and assembling components of systems following written and schematic instructions; testing lines, connections, and components for leaks with leak detectors, and making the necessary repairs; recording temperature and pressure readings from gauges, and adjusting controls to bring readings within limits prescribed by the manufacturer.
- Services, adjusts, or replaces electrical control devices and calibrates them according to specified procedures and specifications.
- Performs seasonal start-up and shut-down operations on air-conditioning units and systems to ensure efficient and maintenance-free operations.
- Assists a skilled mechanic in the overhaul and major repair of compressors, pumps, and electric motors by performing specific tasks.
- Makes electrical connections for motors.
- Locates and seals leaks in tubing, valves, joint connections, and other components in both gas and brine units. Makes repairs and retests system to ensure connections are tight.
- Periodically inspects and services refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment according to preventative maintenance schedules and equipment service manuals.